Is unit testing related only to software development?

• I have searched for "Unit test" on the internet and I always find that it is a software development topic. If I am not writing code and instead I am designing, for example, a BI dashboard, can I consider "Unit testing" it?

Well indeed we want to test the dashboard but I don't know if it's correct to talk about "Unit test" outside of the coding world. I would like to test that the information represented in the dashboard is correct and the filter functionality works.

• Yes, Unit-testing is only software related. No testing the implementation of a dashboard cannot be considered Unit-testing. Unit-tests typically test relatively small programming functions. A dashboard is the result of a lot of programming classes which consist of even more smaller programming methods (a.k.a. functions).

Unit tests are typically automated tests written and run by software developers to ensure that a section of an application (known as the "unit") meets its design and behaves as intended. In procedural programming, a unit could be an entire module, but it is more commonly an individual function or procedure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_testing

What you are describing is probably functional testing. You could describe different dashboard behaviours in functional test-cases. E.g. Test Filter X:

1. Load predefined dataset (Arrange or setup)
    2. Filter dataset on X (Act, action under test)
    3. Results are Y (Assert or verify)

This test script should be repeatable and could be automated.

Suggested Topics