What is the best way to learn Selenium Webdriver or any Automation tool in general?

• I have purchased a Selenium automation course and practice sometimes as per the code shown in the lecture. But, i am going very slow and circling in basic topics like dropdowns, select tag, waits etc.

I am not able to start with Advance automation like integration of CI/CT tools, database automation etc?

Any tips on learning? Any shared experiences?

• Same position as me. Starting as Testmanager and shifted to Test Engineer I was having troubles to understand how test automation worked. For the beginning I would not start with mobile testing. Testing with Websites is more convenient.

What helped in my case:

• Understand how the DOM structure works esp. locators (xpath, css, id, etc.)
    • After you got a clear understanding how it works, use tools e.g. Selenium IDE. At the beginning I would not use that until you got a understanding how the locators are "working"
    • In case that in your company is a consultant (e.g. service provider) try to adapt his skills (in my case it helped, one person explained me the structure of DOM differences between xpath ID, css etc...) and gave me a lot of tips about Selenium
    • Use easy online tutorials step by step..

Tutorials which helped in my case:

Angie Jones Free Courses

Free Selenium Tutorial

Beginners Guide

Suggested Topics