Do you still need a Test Plan when adopting Continuous Delivery?

• As a test manager, I need to review a Test Plan for the upcoming release. I also need to review the test results. The tests are both automated and manual.

As an organization, we would like to move to continuous integration/continuous delivery, where code changes are fully tested automatically e.g. via Jenkins. In the future, we may move to CD to automatically ship those changes

Do you still need a Test Plan when using CI/CD? How do you ensure that the product has been tested properly, including functional and non-functional testing? What oversight can QA provide when using CI/CD?

• I don't see CI/CD as something different than non CI/CD process, tests are simply being run by a non human entity.

Do you need a test plan (or plan your tests) ? of course you do, you need to think what goes into automation and whether something should be done manually or tested in production (A/B tested, telemetry), analyze risks related to testing this way and not another, and evaluate the level of testing in each stage.

You can monitor the quality of the results the same way as before- use reports, dashboards and analyze logs, data and user bug reports

Suggested Topics