How should I organize a large number of unrelated Infrastructure as Code projects?

• I work at a municipal government with many departments. Teams from these departments request new servers for specific uses/applications. Our environment is currently using VMware VSphere (~1500 VMs, 2 datacenters, 50 hosts/blades) and we'll be migrating gradually to Azure over the next few years.

I'm just starting with Terraform and can build VMs with it, one at a time. Should I create one Terraform project per server? Or is it worth it to group them somehow? Most of the requests are for one or two servers at a time; sometimes up to four at a time. Each request tends to be unrelated to any previous requests.

Is there a source that covers the theory of organizing something on this scale? Or should I just accept that we'll have to maintain 1500 sets of TF project files?

• I assume this is what Terragrunt would help to solve. It adds a new layer where you can easily manage complex infrastructure or keep your work DRY.

Suggested Topics