NodeCreationFailure: Instances failed to join the kubernetes cluster

• I'm setting up an EKS cluster using https://github.com/ManagedKube/kubernetes-ops

and, based on that code, when I do a terraform apply I'm getting a NodeCreationFailure error.

Specifically:

│ Error: error waiting for EKS Node Group (staging:staging-ng12022040211190144860000000d) to create: unexpected state 'CREATE_FAILED', wanted target 'ACTIVE'. last error: 1 error occurred:
    │   * i-0d5c42031eaf061ff, i-0d9a073240fd29c45: NodeCreationFailure: Instances failed to join the kubernetes cluster

Admittedly, that's not much code, but does anyone have any pointers on where to start debugging?

• I incurred the same problem during one of my deployments.

This happens due to the Networking issue of the EKS cluster. Assuming that you are working in AWS, follow the following steps to debug this problem:

1. Check if your security groups are correctly configured correctly to your Nodes.
    2. If the EKS is present in the public sub-nets, check its connectivity to internet gateway and is able to access the internet.
    3. If Eks is present in the private sub-net, check the connectivity with NAT gateway and that NAT gateway is able to access the internet.

Suggested Topics