Event Campaigns and Grand Prize
Bogopo last edited by
I have a question about how event campaigns work in Star Trek: Online. I'm a free-to-play player and want to get a free tier 6 ship by engaging in the campaign.
The STO Wiki says that "50 Event Campaign Progress is earned for each "Daily" run of any Eligible Event, with a cooldown of 20 hours between acquiring more. A total of 3,500 Event Campaign Progress is needed to earn this Event Grand Prize." Is this true? If I get 50 event progress per event, I'd have to complete any of the featured events 70 times, and unfortunately, I don't have nearly enough time on my hands for that. So do I have to repeat the events enough to get 3500 event progress and earn the grand prize?
An event campaign takes place over 5 events. For each event, you're provided a series of activities. Each day, if you want to progress through the event, you must perform 1-2 activities that day. Once you do, you get 1) progress toward the event reward, and 2) 50 points toward the event campaign reward. Once you get 3500 points toward the event campaign, you get the event campaign reward.
You aren't expected to get all 3,500 points in a single event. It's actually impossible to do so. Most events last ~21 days (or 105 days for 5 events). If you engaged once a day, you could only get 1,050 points toward the event campaign in a single event. At a minimum, you'd need to complete every day in 3 events and part of a 4th to get 3,500 points. That said, you also don't have to do it that way. As long as you get credit for ~2/3 of the days within events that are part of the event campaign, you'll have enough by the end of the last event to get the reward.
Some caveats to be aware of:
- You can't get more than 50 points per day toward the event campaign. You're forced to perform activities across 70 different days.
- Not every event grants progress toward the event campaign. Read the event description to see if it will, or check the event campaign interface to see if the active event is listed as one of the 5 events within the campaign.
- When you finish your progress toward the prize for a single event, you can continue to repeat it for extra dilithium rewards. As you collect each reward, you'll get an additional 50 points toward the event campaign.
- Depending on the event, you have to get 1 or 2 "daily progress points" before you get credit for the day (and thus your 50 points). For events where you need 2 daily progress points per day, there are usually some quicker activities worth 1 point, and more time-intensive ones worth 2. So, it's still possible to get your daily credit through one activity. However, depending on which activities you choose, you may need to do 2 in a day to get full credit.
- For the purposes of this answer, I referred to "days", which is what the experience ends up being for most players. However, the timers are actually "20-hour" timers. So, if you do the activities as soon as the timer expires, you can earn an extra 50 points.