Could MySQL perform better on a 10GB network storage with raid vs local HDD?

• Compared to using a HDD on local computer and do many MySQL read / writes on it, could it have more queries per second if I install 10GBe network cards and I store the MySQL data on a raid network storage made of multiple HDDs ? Or would the network latency (or something else) be a problem for MySQL performance ?

My goal would be to get near SSD read/write performance without wearing out the SSD.

• You won’t get close to SSD speeds no matter how you set up HDDs (well, unless you give them a cache). That said, the impact on your application performance is going to be against your IO time only. If you don’t do a lot of IO (because you have so much memory that nothing really hits the disk) then this could be fine. I find that if you build it (a database with fast storage) then they (IO intensive SQL) will come, so you’ve probably already made this a requirement going forwards.

In reality, you may be trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist - are you really going to wear out your SSDs faster than you can afford? The network attached storage idea with RAID is fine as a general storage solution, but you’re going to want SSDs if your application is already relying on your database being supported by SSD.

Suggested Topics