Does the DMA tool support an online migration for on-prem source and on-prem target?

• I a planning to use the DMA tool to make a test migration from an on-prem source sql server to an on-prem target sql target.

This test will be performed during less busy hours, but there will be users using the source server dbs. Does the DMA tool support an online migration? By online I mean that the source db can be used while the migration is happening.

If yes, then will the migration target contain data as of the start of DMA tool migration process or the end of the migration process?

• By online I mean that the source db can be used while the migration is happening.

Yes it would be accessible but make sure you do not do any write operation on it during migration. Read operation would be fine. This is because internally DMA would take backup of database and logs to migrate your database so basically its backup and restore job working hence database would be accessible.

I would also add DMA does not migrate jobs and other server objects so be careful. I would prefer logshipping or mirroring or Availability groups for migrating to on-premise.

Suggested Topics