Using an extended event to track a single stored procedure

• I'm attempting to track all executions of a stored procedure (Including from inside other stored procedures) and the statements of that procedure - is this possible with extended events? My current extended event is:

CREATE EVENT SESSION [EVENT_NAME] ON SERVER
    ADD EVENT sqlserver.rpc_completed(SET collect_data_stream=(1)
    ACTION(sqlserver.database_id,sqlserver.database_name,sqlserver.server_principal_name,sqlserver.session_id)
    WHERE ([package0].[greater_than_uint64]([sqlserver].[database_id],(4)) AND [package0].[equal_boolean]([sqlserver].[is_system],(0)) AND [sqlserver].[like_i_sql_unicode_string]([sqlserver].[sql_text],N'%MY_STORED_PROCEDURE_NAME%'))),
    ADD EVENT sqlserver.sp_statement_completed(
    ACTION(sqlserver.database_id,sqlserver.database_name,sqlserver.server_principal_name,sqlserver.session_id)
    WHERE ([package0].[greater_than_uint64]([sqlserver].[database_id],(4)) AND [package0].[equal_boolean]([sqlserver].[is_system],(0)) AND [sqlserver].[like_i_sql_unicode_string]([sqlserver].[sql_text],N'%MY_STORED_PROCEDURE_NAME%'))),
    ADD EVENT sqlserver.sql_batch_completed(
    WHERE ([package0].[greater_than_uint64]([sqlserver].[database_id],(4)) AND [package0].[equal_boolean]([sqlserver].[is_system],(0)) AND [sqlserver].[like_i_sql_unicode_string]([sqlserver].[sql_text],N'%MY_STORED_PROCEDURE_NAME%')))
    ADD TARGET package0.event_file(SET filename=N'TraceData')
    WITH (MAX_MEMORY=4096 KB,EVENT_RETENTION_MODE=ALLOW_SINGLE_EVENT_LOSS,MAX_DISPATCH_LATENCY=30 SECONDS,MAX_EVENT_SIZE=0 KB,MEMORY_PARTITION_MODE=NONE,TRACK_CAUSALITY=ON,STARTUP_STATE=OFF)
    GO

But this doesn't seem to work unless I execute the procedure manually. Any best practice method to do this?

• Your way is very expensive.
    You can use module_start event to track this efficiently.

Prepare a demo

CREATE OR ALTER PROCEDURE dbo.TrackedProcedure
        @param int 
    AS
    BEGIN
        SELECT @param
    END 

GO

CREATE OR ALTER PROCEDURE dbo.WrapperProcedure
    @passParam int
    AS
    BEGIN
    /* do something */

SELECT 'WrapperProcedure' AS context

EXEC dbo.TrackedProcedure 
        @param = @passParam

END
    GO

And a draft of the XE session - you should add some data persisting options.

CREATE EVENT SESSION [TrackProcedure] ON SERVER 
    ADD EVENT sqlserver.module_start
    (
        SET collect_statement=1
        ACTION
        (
            sqlserver.client_app_name,                 /* Additional audit info */
            sqlserver.database_name,                   /* Additional audit info */
            sqlserver.session_server_principal_name,   /* Additional audit info */
            sqlserver.username,                        /* Additional audit info */
            sqlserver.sql_text,
            sqlserver.tsql_stack
        )
        WHERE 
        (
            [object_type]='P ' /* The space behind P is necesssary */
            AND [object_name]=N'TrackedProcedure'
        )
    )

Then I execute code like this:

/* Batch 1 */
    EXEC dbo.TrackedProcedure 
        @param = 10
    GO

/* Batch 2 */
    EXEC dbo.WrapperProcedure
    @passParam = 5 -- int
    GO

XE showing captured data

You can see that the sql_text column is the input buffer - capturing the outer scope.
    statement column has the exact line.

I blog more about parsing the tsql_stack here. https://straightforwardsql.com/posts/investigating-errors-with-extended-events/

Suggested Topics