Maintenance : File system vs Database

• I'm comparing the advantages and disadvantages of File system (journaling and COW) and Database (SQL and Non-SQL). Not only from the developer's point of view, I also want to know further what are the challenges and difficulties in maintaining these two systems. Could you guys share your thoughts?

• Apologies, if as a beginner, my response is incorrect.

But, I think you should use DBMS if the data you use requires frequent manipulation while simultaneously being able to view the previous entries.

Like storing it in Journaling/COW based File Systems, log becomes cluttered and due to frequent changes, it might be difficult to keep track of old entries .

Besides, dbms does offers more data security, constraints integrity, data recovery and ease of manipulating data representation based on user needs(without altering real data) .

If you use as a single user, then maybe its fine but on a centralised storage workstation, you wouldn't want another user to be able to access all the records.

Hence, I will prefer DBMS more for larger volumes of data which is constantly updated and frequented by multiple users in a day.

Suggested Topics