Azure SQL Server automatic tuning - Drop index

• If I allow Azure to automatically drop indexes, will they only drop indexes that they auto-created or even on ones that I created?

• REF: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-sql/database/automatic-tuning-overview It will drop both indexes Drops (unused over the last 90 days) and duplicate indexes with some exceptions.

• Unique indexes, including indexes supporting primary key and unique constraints, are never dropped.
    • This option may be automatically disabled when queries with index hints are present in the workload, or when the workload performs partition switching.
    • On Premium and Business Critical service tiers, this option will never drop unused indexes but will drop duplicate indexes, if any.
    • It automatically validates there exists a positive gain to the workload performance, and if there is no significant performance improvement detected, it will automatically revert the tuning recommendation.

My recommendation: If you are not you can disable auto-deployment but still receive recommendations. Do due diligence and apply manually.

Suggested Topics