When a development team doesn't want to go through an OKR exercise

• I work with multiple teams, whereby the company culture has been somewhat command and control, and also "shielding" the team from any sort of "management", "leadership", and "mundane" tasks.

The teams are not product teams, but rather they provide services such as cloud monitoring, and network maintenance (physical and virtual).

Recently, the company started going down the https://www.whatmatters.com/faqs/okr-meaning-definition-example route, and when it comes to teams, it teams that the teams are reluctant to even participate in any kind of "management", "boring", or "useless" activity such as setting goals and finding ways to measure the teams' success.

I do think it's a cultural problem, however, the line managers and leadership insist on getting everyone behind, and attending OKR creation. My job as a Scrum Master is very difficult since I find it hard impossible to engage the team in the activity. I understand that if people don't want to do it, they won't do it, but, are there any opinions or similar experiences on how to approach this?

The ideal scenario would be to have the team understand "Why" they do what they do, and therefore put them behind some common goals (Objectives). But they seem reluctant to even engage on the activity.

• A good way to bring the team together is to understand how is it affecting them. You mentioned there was no system in place before the OKRs. How did this affect them in their day to day? What problems have they encountered as a result of not having a system in place? That could be a starting off point to rally them behind a cause and then move on the idea of a solution to these problems: OKRs

Suggested Topics