Should we write Acceptance Criteria of a User story before Starting with UX/UI Designs?

• I am currently working as a Business Engineer/Product owner in a company. We follow agile methodology. I want to discuss the challenges I faced during the Design and Development Process. As a Business Engineer, my job is to work with the requirements provided by stakeholders and transform them into User stories.

The process we follow right now:

Requirements -> User stories -> Acceptance criteria -> UX/UI Designs -> Refinement of User Stories -> Implementation of the requirements

My Questions are as follow:

1. Should Acceptance criteria be written before the UX/UI Designs?

The issue I face here is that I have to think like a UX/UI designer, who is hard as I don't have a design background. Based on a User Story and its Acceptance criteria, the design team is designing screens, leading to frequent changes in the Acceptance criteria.

It would be helpful if I could get suggestions on the same.

• Short Answer

yes

Detailed Answer

Creating a detailed mock-up can be a waste of time if the Product Owner determines the size of effort is too high to include the story in an iteration.

Risky Flow:

1. Acceptance Criteria written
    2. Mock-up is created Team sizes story
    3. Product Owner determines that the effort of the story doesn't justify its cost.

Outcome: time has been spent creating a mock-up that won't be used.

Lean Flow:

1. Draft acceptance criteria created
    2. Team roughly sizes story (t-shirt)
    3. Product Owner decides if the rough size is worth the cost of the story
    4. Low-Fidelity Mock-up is created (when justified)
    5. Acceptance criteria could likely be further refined during mockup creation
    6. Team sizes the user story
    7. Product Owner determines if the cost of the story justifies including it in a backlog

Suggested Topics