Can a requirement be linked to another requirement?

• I have a requirement listing a few rules and needs in my performance specification. I need to add two rules already covered by two requirements a bit farther in the document in this list.

Can a requirement link to another one? And be valid if the others are met?

Or should I merge the two other requirements in the list for clarity and avoid unnecessary extension of the specification?

An example :

Req 1 - Rules for a working system :
      o the latency MUST be lower than X
      o the priority policy MUST be applied

Req 7 - The priority policy MUST be applied to the systems concerned

• Can a requirement be linked to another requirement?

Yes, it can.

Requirements can depend on other requirements. Or some requirement can be derived from another requirement. Requirements can also be reused (business guidelines or rules that can be reused by different solutions within the same domain, for example).

When you have these sorts of relationships between requirements, you can either mention the same information twice or link some place else where the information is already available. Duplicating the information introduces the possibility of errors (one version says something, another version says something else, or one requirement is more up to date than another one which is older, etc.) so linking is preferred when you want to refer to something defined elsewhere. Just make sure there is some form of traceability in place so that you can retrieve all the requirements (i.e. to be clear that some requirement is extended some place else).

Suggested Topics