Katalon - sharing a project - how bad?

• I was asked this question by a manager and don't actually know the correct answer for why we shouldn't simply share Katalon projects (e.g. on a network drive). Please help!

If two users, A and B, are both using the same Katalon project on a network drive, I would expect that files would be locked by the first user and therefore not editable by user B. Can user B even access the project though? If they can, can they create new test objects and tests cases?

We are not Git users but do have version control (TFS) which is not perfect when collaborating, since it does not support branching etc.

I'm lacking a second tester to try this out with at the moment and also suspect it isn't desirable but have no evidence for why not!

How should I solve my situation?

• Because I think tests should be versioned against the application code. So that if you fork, or run multiple versions of your applications (e.g. v1 and v2) for different clients you can still run the tests against that version, for example when making bugfixes.

Having a single folder means you only support the latest version. And versioning yourself in folders is pre-historic 🙂 and prone to human errors.

TFS supports branching, but not as easy as git. TFS also supports Git, suggest you migrate the repositories.

For your question if Katalon supports multiple users on a shared network drive, I wouldnt try, but there is only one way to find out. Try it 😉

Btw managers suggesting things like this should be removed from a team making software. This suggestion is so absurdly stupid, that this person has no clue how a proper software development/testing process looks like. Was it an interview question? That is the only place this could make sense.

Suggested Topics