Why is Figma/Adobe XD needed?

• A bit about myself - I'm an 18 year old amateur graphic designer who works primarily in Photoshop and Illustrator. I've also been trying to learn coding for the last couple of years. I have developed a few basic games in Unity, have learnt a bit of basic frontend dev, and currently I'm learning Flutter.

My question that has always puzzled me is, why do we need UI/UX design software such as Figma/Adobe XD/Sketch?

I've never felt the need to design a mockup in Figma first, and then replicate it in whatever app I'm making. Or even if I do need a reference, I've always just used Illustrator to design it. I just can't get why UX design software is needed.

I'm not hating, I'm very new to this, and I'm simply trying to understand the use cases.

Thank you!

• Because not everyone is working alone.

Of course when you're the developer of your own design you don't need to sketch everything. I don't need to do it for my own app I'm developing either.

But in a workplace where you are only the UX designer and not the developer, you do it as a handoff for the actual developer. And for that purpose Illustrator is absolutely horrendous. You don't see any font, color or margin information. In Figma you do, you can click into every object live in the file and check its properties.

Check this link to see what I mean: https://help.figma.com/hc/en-us/articles/360055203533-Use-the-Inspect-panel

(Aside from that Illustrator is not designed for layouting and thus is absolutely inefficient at it in comparison to Figma, see e.g. auto-layout)

enter image description here

Suggested Topics