Cannot Unlock Bootloader on Fairphone 4
I have been attempting to install /e/ OS on a Fairphone 4 in accordance with these instructions: https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP4/install and I am stuck on Step 6 of Unlocking the Bootloader. No matter what I do, I get results like this when attempting to use the
fastboot flashing ...commands:
./fastboot flashing get_unlock_ability FAILED (remote: 'Unrecognized command flashing get_unlock_ability') fastboot: error: Command failed
I've gone through multiple Troubleshooting guides. None have helped. Here are some of the notable details and things I have tried:
- I've tried on both MacOS and Windows, the result is the same.
- I've tried multiple different USB-C cables with both MacOS and Windows.
- I've tried installing the tools using Homebrew on Mac, then uninstalled, and installed using the official Android Studio process. The result is still the same.
- I've gone through and switched out the default driver on Windows for the Google one, as recommended here: https://www.reddit.com/r/fairphone/comments/slk2qd/e_installtion_troubleshooting_guide_fastboot/ the result is still the same.
- ADB works perfectly.
- The device "lists" perfectly:
./adb devices -l List of devices attached XXXXXXXX device usb:2097152X product:FP4eea model:FP4 device:FP4 transport_id:14
- I have done the OEM unlock process.
- Fastboot can clearly see the device when I boot to fastboot (
./adb reboot fastboot
./fastboot devices XXXXXXXX fastboot
- Version information in case it helps
./fastboot --version fastboot version 33.0.2-8557947 Installed as /Users/XXXXXXXX/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools/fastboot
I'm clearly missing something, but I've gone over the instructions and various troubleshooting guides in detail and I cannot figure out what I missed. Does anyone have any ideas?
You are in the wrong
fastbootd(with the d at the end!) is https://source.android.com/devices/bootloader/fastbootd , what you want is the "real" fastboot also called bootloader.
Either select "Reboot to bootloader" in fastbootd or reboot the phone with
fastboot reboot bootloader.
Thx @ https://forum.fairphone.com/t/unknown-command-issue-w-fastbootd-solved/84559