Access my application files of an old App

• I have this old-ish Android app running on my Pixel4 w/Android12 phone, the app was last updated on 2018 and it clearly uses old API or whatever and the built-in backup functions are obsolete. It offers option to export its DB to a folder but it can only access /data/user/0/com.cooly.OilChangeSchedulePro/files folder (yes, I'm giving out the app name)

My question is how the heck I can take that file out of my phone? I do not have it rooted (and rooting will make it wipe, so no sense), please don't ask me to root the phone.

1. tried using adb run-as package but then the package is not debuggable.
    2. tried to make the package debuggable by changing Manifest and repacking, but i cannot upgrade the app with my custom package.
    3. tried adb backup com.cooloy.OilChangeSchedulePro and it gets an empty backup, nothing inside.

Any other way I can access that folder on my phone and copy out my DB to be restored on other phone?

• QA Engineer

If the app does not disallow backup in it's AndroidManifest.xml then you should able to retrieve the data using adb backup.

Some older apps make use of key/value storage which is not included in backup by default. To include this data change the adb backup command to:

adb backup -keyvalue -f oilchangesBackup.ab com.cooly.OilChangeSchedulePro

Just make sure to use the correct packageName of the app because if you make a typo the backup file will be empty.

Suggested Topics