How to push people to use automatic tests?

• I am a test automation engineer.

My main work is to automate UI tests for projects. My tests are suppose to be launch after every release in "qualification", "pre production" and "production". Then, the person in charge (usually the "Product Owner"), takes a look at the tests results and acts accordingly to said result.

On the paper, this process works fine. It also works fine with some projects depending on who is in charge of said project.

Sometimes, the person in charge of a project will simply not use my tests. Or will launch them but not look at the test results (what's the point of launching them, then?). Or will launch them, look at the results but not tell me if the tests are broken because of a new feature (so basically the test needs fixing but they don't tell me so I don't fix them and then they become useless).

I do realise that I have a major communication issue here (and it's probably made worst by my remote working), but I don't know how to fix it.

How do I push people to use my tests?

I make sure to present my tests to every person who could use them. I also tell them to contact me anytime they need my help or if they have any questions. But it doesn't seem to be enough. I have written several documentation on how to launch the tests and then look at the tests results. I don't know what else to do.

How can I reduce the probability that my tests won't be used? Especially when my tests are here to make their life easier (so they don't need to test so much by hand anymore).

• You make your tests part of the build pipeline, and have them email you and everyone else who matters the results. That way, you're not relying on anyone else to run them or check the results.

As an automation engineer, writing the tests is only part of your job. You are also responsible for your part of the CI/CD pipeline, up to and including configuring the automated tests to run after each build with the appropriate label and checking the results afterwards.

Taking responsibility for ensuring the tests run and checking the results also means that you will know, quickly, whether changes have broken your automation and be able to make updates in a more timely way. You will also be able to direct information about failures to the appropriate project manager and raise bugs regarding failures.

If this is too much to add to your other duties, it's time to find a willing assistant in your fellow testers in the organization. It's very likely that there'll be one or more who are interested in expanding their skill sets.

Suggested Topics