Battery Protect Mode: On or Off?

• I have a Lenovo Android tablet that I intend to be plugged in 24/7. I have either two options:

1. Battery protect mode OFF: the device will occasionally discharge to 99%, then be charged back to 100%.
    2. Battery protect mode ON: the device charges to 60%, then stops, discharges down to 40%, then charges back up to 60%.

Which method actually will prolong my battery life/health in the long-term?

• Lithium-ion batteries are best kept around 50% charge. The number of charge cycles is not that important if you only charge/discharge it around 50%.

Especially in your case as you want to keep it connected 24/7 the battery protect mode is a perfect match, I strongly recommend to enable battery protect mode.

Because without this battery protect mode the phone would always charge the battery from about 90% to 100%. Then charging would stop and the battery would drop to 90-95% where charging starts again.

Charging a lithium-ion battery between 90% and 100% is the fastest way to degrade and even destroy it. I also has some devices connected 24/7 which is a real battery kille. I already has quite a few devices with blown-up battery in a way that the device disassembles itself from the inner because of the swollen battery.

Suggested Topics