What is this weird app on the homescreen of ColorOS 11? Is this a malware?

• My device is an Oppo F11 Pro that I bought in 2019 and it has ColorOS 11.1 / Android 11.

Recently, this weird app popped out on my phone.

I tried to remove it, but when I tap on it, it says that it wasn't able to open the app, and when I hold the icon, I only get "see the details of this app" which leads to nothing. I found nothing on the app manager, so I thought that my phone was compromised and I reset it to factory settings and changed my passwords using my laptop (which I'm sure isn't compromised because I just got it and only has Firefox on it).

After the resetting, I installed some apps from the Play Store (as you see, Citymapper for example) and I noticed that for some apps (Messenger, Google Podcasts, Forest, and Reddit), this weird icon appears before the apps' icons; while for other icons (Citymapper, Instagram, McAfee Security), nothing happens. And since I got the McAfee 30 days trial, I decided to put it on the phone and it found nothing during its analysis.

I may have randomly found a hint about the app. I was checking the authorizations given to my apps and I noticed that an app called "DMApp" with the same weird Android icon had the authorization for making and managing phones calls. I removed it and there is no way to find that "DMApp" again, but the icons kept multiplicating.

TL;DR: A weird-looking icon keeps popping out in my phone with no way to find its origins (even after factory reset). Device: Oppo F11 Pro (bought in 2019). OS: ColorOS 11.1 | Android 11

I hope you can help me figure out what all this is about. Thanks!

• This is a Color OS bug with Android 11. Me too facing this since a few days so can confirm.

Suggested Topics