If I enable adbd LAN tcp 5555, does it mean any app or LAN device can connect port 5555 to get a shell permission?

• I have a Android 8 TV box. In developer settings, I can enable/disable USB debug. After enable, any device in LAN can use adb connect to connect to (no password or auth required) and control it via shell.

My questions:

1. Does that mean any app on the Android devices can connect 127.0.0.1:5555 and get a shell permission? (The Android box is rooted. In adb I can use su directly)

ss -pnltu | grep 5555 got:

tcp    LISTEN     0      4        :::5555                 :::*                   users:(("adbd",pid=5051,fd=15))

How can I protect my Android from being hacked by an installed app.

2. I can't use setprop ro.adb.secure 1, it says

setprop: failed to set property 'ro.adb.secure' to '1'

It's always 0. So the ROM doesn't support the adb RSA auth security feature.

How can I protect my Android from being hacked from other LAN devices.

(I want to keep usb debugging on cause I can install/uninstall apps from PC)

Update: I come up with a simple trick: changing the port

setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5550

that will hide my adbd from 80% hackers I think.

But, still, that's not a real solution. It's just a workaround

• If there is no adb authentication any device on your network can connect and issue shell commands.

A workaround could be to limit access to adb on IP level using iptables. That would allow to limit access your PC, assuming that your PC always has the same IP in your home network.

But as you have root permissions you may consider installing an sshd and keep adb off. The authentication system of ssh is effective and additionally ssh provides an encrypted communication channel (which adb doe snot provide, it is plain like telnet).

Suggested Topics