Does time in menus count for total completion time?

• Some unlocks in Metroid Dread require beating the game within a certain amount of time. Do these unlock requirements count time spent in menus? For example, if I pause the game and look at the map for two minutes, does that add two minutes to my final completion time?

• I've speedrun the game in both Normal and Hard, and I can confirm that the pause menu does not add to the timer.

For my first run (Normal), I was watching someone else speedrun through the game on YouTube while replaying what I saw on my Switch. During the entire time I was watching the YouTube speedrun, I had the game paused. I still ended up getting a better time than the one on the YouTube video. If the pause menu added to the timer, I would've had roughly twice the time instead.

For my second run (Hard), I played purely from memory. I only paused the game to see where I needed to go and plan my route in advance. Despite spending very little time in the pause menu, I still got a very similar (albeit slightly longer) time compared to my normal run.

I've also seen various comments supporting the theory that the pause menu does not affect the timer, such as https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/323656-metroid-dread/79707891 :

Pausing stops the timer, and dying resets you to the checkpoint timer. Cutscenes are included in the timer even if you skip them.

Suggested Topics