What version of Minecraft: Java Edition has the best performance?
So, I am going to start a private Minecraft server. But I get poor performance in 1.18. I am considering 1.8.9, but I don't know if this is the best option. I am using a Rasberry Pi 4 B.
Generally, there are five main versions of Minecraft used in servers:
- Latest version - servers that need the latest features.
- Previous version - servers that are waiting for the latest version to be well-supported by plugins and mods.
- 1.12 - servers that need the good performance, and don't have a reason to use old combat.
- 1.8 - servers that prefer the old-style combat.
- 1.7 - servers that do not need (or like all of) 1.8's features. Typically PvP practice servers.
Using optimisation mods can help performance. The most popular are https://papermc.io/ and https://www.spigotmc.org/ which are both a drop-in replacement for the vanilla server JAR, Paper being easier to set up. However, they both change vanilla mechanics.
If you want something a little more vanilla-friendly, a combination of https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/phosphor and https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/lithium is a bit better.
If you are just running an small SMP, the latest version should be fine. If you encounter performance issues, I'd recommend first installing Phosphor and Lithium, and then trying PaperMC if you don't see any difference.