PS5 - How to request restricted game?
Demir last edited by
My son got a PS5 for Christmas and I’ve set him up an online account and profile on the console. Everything I’ve read says that to play a game rated older than his age he can request it.
So far, all we’ve tried is Spider-Man Remastered (which is a download from a code that came with Spider-Man: Miles Morales in case that’s relevant).
I can’t see anywhere he can request this game to be un-restricted, and when he tries to launch the game he only gets this message:
The only workaround I’ve found so far is to temporarily disable parental controls from my own profile but that undoes the next time we switch the console on.
How is this supposed to work? I’ve installed and signed into the PlayStation app on my phone so expected him to request it and I would receive some kind of notification or email.
The workaround posted on https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/jymmhr/parental_controls_cant_request_access_to_some/ worked:
- In the child account, go to settings and use the Parental Setting key to temporarily disable Parental Controls
- Still in the child account open the game and actually get as far as starting a new game.
- Close the game using the switcher (I did this by switching to Astro's Playroom)
- Still in the child account re-enable parental controls
- Start the game again. The child will be able to request access.
- Switch to the parent account and grant access.
- Switch to the child account and try the game. If you have linked to an Ubisoft account you may now have to request access to communications functions.
- Switch to the parent account and grant access to communications functions.
Although it’s not ideal that you have to resort to a clunky workaround.