I don't understand how the initiating process group works [example given]

• I am wondering which initiating group processes are occurring in the example given here [IT PM 9E]

"Initiating processes take place during each phase of a project. For example, in the close-out phase, initiating processes are used to ensure that the project team completes all the work, that someone documents lessons learned, and that the customer accepts the work."

The processes in the initiating process group are:

• develop project charter

• identify stakeholders

It seems like none of the activities in the example are in either of the processes in the initiating process group. I am asking this question because the example doesn't make clear to me, how "initiating processes take place during each phase of a project".

If you understand what I am asking, and think it could be asked in clearer way, feel free to edit or tell me. Also, it is first my question here, so if this question is unsuitable in some way, kindly tell me why before closing.

• You are correct that the two product outputs in the Initiation Process Group are the project charter and the stakeholder management plan. This suggests that it is performed only once and at the project level and I think this is why so many confuse the process groups as project phases.

But the process groups are performed over and over again during the course of a project, including at the project level, the phase level, and I would argue even at the work package level. The confusing piece of this is, I think, that folks do not consider how the outputs differ at the various levels. When you are beginning a phase, you still need to charter it and you need to define the next phase just as you did the project, i.e., who the phase lead is (could be the same as the PM but maybe not), what the scope of that phase is, what the high-level estimates are of that phase, etc. At the work package level, the same thing, who is the work package lead, what is the scope, what will it take, how do we know when it's done, etc.

Same with the stakeholders. At the lower levels, the stakeholder document might include only a subset of the total stakeholders identified at the project level. Or it might even include a stakeholder group not identified previously.

You need to look at all the outputs of each of the phases from a scaled, tailored view that is consistent with the level at which you are writing.

Suggested Topics