How to approach this: A team member with Good technical skills but weak in other areas

• My team consists of 7 people and I am the project manager. A teammate of mine has good technical skills, but he struggles with documenting the results of his work and delivering documents to the next teammate (documenting a single page takes him two or three sprints).

I spoke with him and he says that documenting something is hard for him, and he doesn't like to do this so he postpones it to the end of the sprint and rarely does it. I suggested using voice typing or some methods like https://jamesclear.com/temptation-bundling but nothing changed.

I thought this person could be a good lead developer because of his technical skills, but now I'm worried about his negative impact on the team.

Do you have any advice for me?

• This is a situation most of us as project manager face in real life. The good part of this situation is that the issue and the reason are pretty transparent, and there is no lack of openness within the team. People who are technically strong may lack some other skills like in this case which is documentation.

Since the person has informed you about the disinterest in documentation, and that your effort to use voice typing has not given the impact you anticipated, this clearly shows that the person lacks skills to express himself/is highly concerned about his communication skills.

Better option, let him work in a pair with a lesser technically skilled person and let that person take care of the documentation part whereby he can focus on his strength and also review the work of the other teammate. Over a period of time osmotic knowledge sharing will happen within the team environment which can benefit both the individuals involved as well as the team as a whole.

Suggested Topics