Should the fixing of misunderstood user stories be treated like new user stories or like bugs?

• A developer in my Team misunderstood a user story and built it in a way that they thought was appropriate. However, the Product Owner had something a bit different in mind.

For some reason, we did not test it adequately and it landed on the productive system. Obviously, the takeaway here is that we should have a better testing workflow.

But my question is on something else. Now that we want to fix this unwanted behavior, is the Ticket that we will be creating a Bug or a new User Story?

• QA Engineer

Doesn't really matter. Just be consistent.

Scrum (I'm assuming you're using Scrum, given the 'Product Owner' tag) doesn't differentiate between bugs and user stories. It really just depends on how your specific business wants to track things.

More than just your testing failed.

Generally, by the end of the https://scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html#sprint-planning , the entire Scrum Team should have a shared understanding of the work in the Sprint.

Ideally, this should have been caught at the beginning of the Sprint, before the developer even started working on it.

Suggested Topics