How to draw a "continual" Decision Node in a process flow diagram

• I know that a decision node can be represented as a Diamond shape and flow is branched with Yes or No.

Now I need to draw a decision node, which is to say: "The project can be terminated at any step after its initiation; If not terminated, then it follows process flow down the path as per normal". How do I draw such decision? (Terminate / Not Terminate)

• Two options stand out to me.

One option would be to have multiple levels of abstraction in your process. Depending on the process, two levels would be sufficient. The first level of abstraction can capture the start, process and decision point, and termination points. This probably works best if you have a relatively small number of termination states. You can then refer to another process flow diagram that decomposes the process into more fine-grained inputs, steps, decisions, outputs, etc. You may want to show some level of inputs and outputs on the higher level of abstraction, as well.

Another option would be to use the on-page and off-page connectors. This would probably be more useful if not every single process step had a termination possibility since it would get messy to have so many references to connectors.

Suggested Topics