How to motivate a software development team that is not motivated due to a lack of interest in the product?

• I am a Project Manager in my Software Engineering class for a software development project that deals with sports management. The issue I am running into is the fact that most of my development team is not very motivated to work on this project because they are not interested in sports. How can I motivate them to work on this project?

• As you're talking about a class, I suppose this is an exercise project, not a real one. You may have to talk to the teacher to see what your options are in this situation.

There are several possible approaches:

• strict: This is an exercise, it does not matter whether the subject interests you, we're going to do this the best we can.
    • creative: (if ok with the teacher) We're translating the problem statement into an interesting subject area, such as agriculture, mecha warfare or whatever.
    • cop-out: Teacher, please assign me to another group, this one isn't willing to work on the exercise.

I don't know what would work for you and your group.

Suggested Topics