Constraint to force pair of IDs

• QA Engineer

I would like a constraint to force a pair of IDs.

For example, I have a table with two columns.

1. car_id
    2. tire_id

However, a specific car_id must always be paired with the same tired_id. Meaning a car can only have one specific tire.

car_id tire_id other_id
    1 1 1
    2 2 2
    3 8 3
    4 3 4
    1 1 5
    3 8 6
    1 9 7

In the above example, all values are acceptable, except (1, 9), because a car_id of 1 is already paired with a tire_id.

I also added the other_id just to show that this table contains other IDs that are not relevant to the constraint I want.

Also, both car_id and tire_id have FKs to their respective tables.

Note, I am specifically using MySQL, but I'm curious if there's a specific solution for other flavors of SQL.

EDIT

The more I think about this problem the more I realize that the tire table should instead be related to the car table and this table should only be related to the car table, but assuming I can't change the table structure, is there a different solution for what I'm looking for?

• As you wrote "but I'm curious if there's a specific solution for other flavours of SQL"

This would be possible in Postgres using an https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/ddl-constraints.html#DDL-CONSTRAINTS-EXCLUSION

alter table tires
      add constraint single_tire 
      exclude using gist (car_id with =, tire_id with <>);

So the first combination of (car_id, tire_id) will then constrain all subsequent ones. If there is a row with (1,1,x), inserting another row with (1,1,y) will work, but inserting (1,2,y) will not.

Suggested Topics