Where is the Installation Media needed to perform a Repair on a SQL Server 2016 installation?

• I have a SQL Server 2016 Express installation that I recently performed an edition upgrade on to make it a Standard edition so that I could have access to SQL Agent. After performing the edition upgrade I noticed that SQL Agent would not start as the Log On account was not properly configured. I found a recommendation online to run the Repair action from the SQL Server Installation Center. When I try to do this it asks me to browse for the folder that contains the 2016 Installation Media. What folder is it looking for? I don't want to re-download and re-install on a working, production instance, I just want to run the repair.

NOTE: I have since gotten SQL Agent to work by specifying a domain admin service account for the Log On, I just would like to know how to be able to run Repair on the instance in case I need it in the future.

Repair Installation

• Repairing is an option of the original installer. That's the installation media that it's referring to, typically an *.iso file that represents the installer. You should be able to utilize the original installer you used to repair the installation as well.

Suggested Topics