Azure postgresql really slow compared to VM

• I work with postgresql (and Postgis) for years now on a VM with dockers, and I start to be used to tweak servers parameters and optimize request, and I never had the kind of problems I have with Azure Postgresql.

The problem is the following: writing is slow (usually around X2 compared to normal PG) but vacuum and index are EXTREMELY slow. At one point we need to create a PostGIS index on 500 millions row, on another server it takes around 30 minutes, on Azure instance it takes MORE THAN A DAY.

I tried to modify server parameters, checked the requests and finally went back to the basics to check the performance of the server, and I still don't understand if there is something I missed or if Azure Postgres has a big problem.

Here what I did to compare:

• Servers:
      • PG TEST:
        • basic docker postgres 11 hosted on a VM (SSD, enough ram and cores but it's not really relevant)
        • command to launch: docker run --rm -e POSTGRES_PASSWORD=pass -d postgres:11.14-stretch
      • PG AZURE:
        • azure database for postgresql, single server, memory optimized 8 cores, 1028Gb of storage
        • default server parameters
    • Test from local PC (I don't really care about response time):
      • use https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgbench.html and create a table with factor 50 (cmd: pgbench -i -s 50)
      • look at the time to create the table, vacuum and index

This is the most simple and reproductible I could find. The exact result can vary a little, but it's around the same idea:

Test results that show that Azure postgres is 70 times less performant to create an index

Read performance seems to be pretty good, so it's really a writing problem, and the more problematic one for us is index creation, and I don't see what can explain that.

This is a big problem for us, and I doubt that this is the kind of difference that can change with a few tweaks in the parameters, except if there is something specific to Azure ?

Did I miss something big ? Am I the only who have this kind of performance ? Or is it something limited to the system itself ? (I read that size of disk impact IOPS but looking at the graphs there doesn't seem to be a problem here, and we tried to add disk and it didn't change much) Maybe flexible servers doesn't have this issue ?

EDIT:

We tested to create new Azure postgres services with 3 different types of services (of the 4 possibles) that we just create and didn't modify, to be sure. I did the same test as before, 2 times for each service, and took the mean. I added the reference (called above PG TEST) and the one we have in production (called above PG AZURE). There was a few change with the previous results, and flexible server seems to be a bit better but the problem is still the same:

Full comparison

• Performance of disk on PostgreSQL Azure is tied to the size of the disk allocated. You get max 3 IOPS per GB, which for your size is 128G x 3 = 384 IOPS. Your SSD probably has 5,000 IOPS and low latency.

To match that you would need to allocate ~ 1.7TB of disk. Give it a try.

Suggested Topics