How can you differentiate between load testing and stress testing?
How will you differentiate between load testing and stress testing? Do they overlap or are they completely different from each other?
Examples of both types of testing would also be helpful.
Bogopo last edited by
- Load Testing - is putting your system under anticipated load, for example if you expect 1000 users concurrently accessing your system - "Load Testing" would be simulating this 1000 users and verifying that there are no errors, response time is acceptable, etc.
Stress Testing - is basically the process of identifying your system boundaries, to wit even if you expect not more than 1000 users you might want to know what will happen when more users arrive. It will give you an insights like:
- what is the maximum number of users your system is capable of handling providing acceptable response time
- when the errors start occurring
- what will be the first bottleneck
- does the system recover when the load gets back to normal
So Load Testing and Stress Testing are different beasts and serve different purposes and when you planning your Performance Testing activities you should consider conducting both of them
More information: Performance Testing vs. Load Testing vs. Stress Testing