What is Travis CI usage beyond unit tests and UI tests?

• I'm learning iOS development, and started learning Travis CI. Currently, I have it testing unit tests and UI tests, I understand how this can be helpful for a team working on the same project, but what else would I use it for? Deploying projects to TestFlight seems useful, but what are some other more common reasons companies or small teams of developers use continuous integration for, specifically Travis CI?

• Your question is a little broad so this may be difficult to answer without spinning out into a list of anecdotes. In general you use tools/strategies like CI to automate tasks you find yourself doing a lot and to ensure they get done in a consistent and reproducible manner. Obviously, this means they could be used for all sorts of things - building libraries or applications, running tests against them, generating documentation, and publishing the artifacts to your documentation site, package manager, etc. are just a few of the common ones you'll probably see.

The "Integrations and Notifications" and "Deployments and Uploads" sections in the TravisCI docs at https://docs.travis-ci.com/ are probably a good place to get an idea of out-of-the-box uses for Travis but keep in mind you can do many many many more things as needed using command line scripts in your travis build file.

Suggested Topics