ChromeDriver : driver failed to parse value of getElementRegion - understanding the error

• The chrome on my office Mac machine recently updated to 76+. Since then one of the tests, written in Protractor and CucumberJS, started failing to cite this error -

WebDriverError: unknown error: failed to parse value of getElementRegion
         (Session info: chrome=76.0.3809.87)

I managed to fix the error since the element in the DOM was actually changed by the FE developer (on the same day the update occurred) and changing the locator fixed the test case. However, I'm curious why I got this error and not ElementNotFoundException or NoSuchElementException instead.

Googling this doesn't result in a lot of answers and as to what this error actually refers to. The only links that I got were from the ChromeDriver code, and it appears in line 587 here -

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/chrome/test/chromedriver/element_util.cc

A similar question asked on SO a couple of years back has no answers - here

Looking to get more answers from the community around this error and what is the cases when this error should come.

• I had the same problem, and solved it by deleting the line SELENIUM_PROMISE_MANAGER: false in my conf.js file on my protractor configuration.

Suggested Topics