What are the steps/action plan to introduce Test Automation in a company?
My colleague and I have been given the task of Piloting Test Automation in our company.
We need help deciding on the Action Plan.
Some Actions we noted are as below :
- Design an Architecture of "Test Automation" that would include defining proper naming convention, maintaining source code, maintaining version history and control
- Selecting Stable Application for Test Automation. And also select the chunk of Test Cases based on priority for Automation.
- Creation of robust - scalable framework that includes a set of rules for writing the test scripts, so as to bring the requirement of maintenance to a minimum. Also, the scripts should be written in a way that they have the ability to cope with minor changes in the application without the need for re-writing them.
- Identify and assign tasks to Test Automation Engineers with predefined goals and milestones.
Are these points enough for us to go ahead and do the Test Automation in our company or are we missing out on any points ?
Laycee last edited by
- Automate a test in the simplest way possible
- Automate another test
- Repeat and evolve into a robust framework
Your plan sounds traditional and will probably result in a lot of research and over-engineering. Start simple and let your tests form around your application and business. Tackle uncertainties as soon as possible. Don't make your plan too big without enough information. Start getting experience and feedback as soon as possible