Why doesn't my XPath find my element on the page?

• I am trying to retrieve the content of the header and each chapter which is a repetitive structure as you can see below. For this am using Selenium and C#.

My attempt, using xpath, is this:

string xpath = "//article[@class='shared__reader__xx reader__container__content'][4]/div[@class='chapter xx'][1]"; // this should take the 5th chapter
    var elem = GetElementBy(By.XPath(xpath), webDriver, 5); 

where GetElementBy is based on the following method:

public static IWebElement GetElementBy(By by, IWebDriver webDriver, int seconds)
            {
                WebDriverWait webdriverWait = new WebDriverWait(webDriver, TimeSpan.FromSeconds(seconds));  // e.g. 5
                IWebElement searchElement = webdriverWait.Until(x => x.FindElement(by));
                return searchElement;
            }

and the html is:

<div class="container__right">
        <article class="shared__reader__xx reader__container__content" lang="en">
            <div class="chapter xx" data-chapternumber="0" style="display: none;">
                <h1>Header ... </h1>
                <div class="chapter__content">
                    <p>xx.</p>
                    <p>xx</p>
                    <ul>
                        <li>xx</li></ul>
                </div>
            </div>
            <div class="chapter xx" data-chapternumber="1" style="display: block;">
                <h1>Header ... </h1>
                    <p>xx.</p>
                    <p>xx</p>
                    <ul>
                        <li>xx</li></ul>
                </div>
            </div>
            <div class="chapter xx" data-chapternumber="2" style="display: none;">
                <h1>Header ... </h1>
                    <p>xx.</p>
                    <p>xx</p>
                    <ul>
                        <li>xx</li></ul>
                </div>
            </div>
    etc

I get the following error and I don't understand why:

Timed out after 1 seconds ---> OpenQA.Selenium.NoSuchElementException: no such element: Unable to locate element: {"method":"xpath","selector":"//article[@class='shared__reader__xx reader__container__content'][4]/div[@class='chapter xx'][1]"}

I should add that only 1 chapter is visible on the page, at once, in case that is a problem, but I think I was trying in my example to display a visible chapter, the 5th and last one, after parsing through all of them.

Later edit: I changed string xpath to "article[@class='shared__reader__xx reader__container__content'][4]/div[@class='chapter xx'][1]"; Same error. According to MSDN: x[1]/y[2] means: The second

<y>

child of the first

<x>

. And considering chapterxx element shows up once under each reader__xx element ...

What am I doing wrong?

• I think that your class selector for multi-class div is the thing that breaks it. Try

//div[contains(@class, 'shared__reader__xx') and contains(@class, 'reader__container__content')]

What is more, this line is trying to find 4th article element with class X and Y, but I think you only have one.

//article[@class='shared__reader__xx reader__container__content'][4]

I presume you are looking for something more like this:

"//div[contains(@class, 'shared__reader__xx') and contains(@class, 'reader__container__content')]/div[@class='chapter xx'][5]";

or

"//div[contains(@class, 'shared__reader__xx') and contains(@class, 'reader__container__content')]/div[@data-chapternumber='4']";

Suggested Topics