What is the difference between hasNext() and next()?

• What is the difference between hasNext() and next() and where it is used? Is it used in Selenium WebDriver or Selenium IDE.

• I think Kannathasan has explained the difference perfectly, but I'd like to add some context:

Making the assumption that you're using Java, they're part of the Iterator interface as described here: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/util/Iterator.html

This interface is a part of Java. While it has nothing to do with Selenium-Webdriver, parts of Selenium-Webdriver may implement it.

From the documentation:

hasNext()

boolean hasNext()

Returns true if the iteration has more elements. (In other words, returns true if next() would return an element rather than throwing an exception.)

Returns:
        true if the iteration has more elements 

next()

E next()

Returns the next element in the iteration.

Returns:
        the next element in the iteration
    Throws:
        NoSuchElementException - if the iteration has no more elements

I can't think of a place in Selenium-Webdriver where I've used an iterator directly, but it's implemented in a few places where you could use it if you really wanted to.

If you have an ArrayList for example, you can access and use the Iterator instead of using a for loop. There may be times where this is advantageous, but I can't think of any immediate examples.

Take this simple use with an ArrayList

List <String> strings = new ArrayList <String>();

strings.add("Example 1");
     strings.add("Example 2");

Iterator<String> iterator = strings.iterator();

while (iterator.hasNext()) {
      System.out.println(iterator.next());
     }

While there are still items in the list to go through, it will print them out. As there are 2 items in the list, it will run through 2 iterations and print out both strings that were added.

Suggested Topics