ISTQB: incidents should be raised when someone other than the author of the software performs the test

• I am preparing for the ISTQB Foundation Level Exam by taking this mock test.

Consider the following statements

i. an incident may be closed without being fixed

ii. incidents may not be raised against documentation

iii. the final stage of incident tracking is fixing

iv. the incident record does not include information on test environments

v. incidents should be raised when someone other than the author of the software performs the test

Possible answers are:

a) ii and v are true, I, iii and iv are false

b) i and v are true, ii, iii and iv are false

c) i, iv and v are true, ii and iii are false

d) i and ii are true, iii, iv and v are false

e) i is true, ii, iii, iv and v are false

Supposedly, the correct answer is b: "i and v are true, ii, iii and iv are false".

But, how can "incidents should be raised when someone other than the author of the software performs the test" be true? It makes no sense to me.

Am I missing something?

• A number of answers can be figured out through the process of elimination - even ones that don't necessarily make sense to you.

In the example question, you can knock out 2 and 3 straight away... we know they're false, which also means the answer can't be A or D.

We can also take out 4 because an incident should include information on test environments (whether they do or not in real life is a different story!), which means the answer can't be C either.

Lastly (and bear with me), remember that an incident is different to a defect:

• A defect is when the actual behavior does not match expected behavior.
    • An incident is the occurrence of any unexpected behavior while testing.

A defect can be raised at any point in the development life cycle, whereas an incident can only be raised from system testing (and not in unit testing). So, if 'the author of the software' (read 'developer') finds an incident, then it would have been found in unit testing, and is therefore a defect and not an incident.

Sooo, because we know 5 is true... the answer can't be E, and so it must be B 🙂

Suggested Topics