Best way to communicate scenarios to be tested to the QA team

• After finishing coding a new module for a web app, the team leader told me to inform the QA team to log in the dev version of the app and test all the possible scenarios.

The obvious answer here, would have been to just pass the "user stories" which we used to write the code and should have been like this if there were any specific scenarios provided. Unfortunately, this is one of the cases that the developers team got poorly described specifications from the client.

Of course, we built the module based on some analysis of the client needs, but how the scenarios should be documented in order to make sure that the testers will try every one of them?

So the questions are:

• Is there any kind of standard way of passing that kind of information to other teams?
    • Are UML diagrams a good choice for this tasks (or any other software)?
    • Should I just go on and write a tl;dr email listing all the scenarios?

• I don't think there is a standard way to do this. I don't know about a best way, but some ways i can think of the top of my head:

• excel sheets/text files/tldr email with detailed instructions what and how to test, basically writing test cases for everything to manually reproduce.
    • userstories: just add in your stories what was actually implemented and pass that to the QA. if not in the user stories.. you would have to have some kind of documentation what you actually did written down somewhere, don't you?
    • uml diagrams: there is nothing wrong with this if they are concise and QA can figure out what to do.
    • other software: for overall management of testcases and such there are tools like HP ALM and many similar ones

Just pick whats most practical in your case. And as mentioned in the comments, ask what QA preferes. They may be used to text files or some expensive test management software.

Suggested Topics