How to make sure the website is internationalization compliant?
Alberto last edited by
We have a requirement to make sure one of our application is internationalization compliant. How to check this? What are all the items need to be verified? Is there any tool available to verify this? Please suggest
i18n support means making application output relevant to local standards of data representation, so 1st of all you need to establish the requirement on what exactly you'd like to have compliant and for which locales. This might include (but not limited to):
- Using local language
- Using local date/time format
- Using local number representation format
- Using local currency (symbols, size of fraction part, etc)
- Providing localized audio/video content
- Processing content or assuring user-to server communication compliant to local laws and regulations
- Some UX specific that is relevant to particular locales
So i18n does not just mean translate the text. This makes impossible to have dedicated software to test localization. The main challenge is to build test environment that would make your app get into required locale state. This might depend on different things, depending on lot of factors some of which are easy to work around (like cookies or request headers) and some are hard to work around such as end user IP address.