Questions about windows software testing

• I am interested in the question of software testing, when the product has already been created, but not yet tested (we will talk about products using the .NET Framework).

So, let's say I want my application to work on the following OS: Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10.
    By the way, among other things, DirectX Media Foundation is used.

The questions are:

• Is there a difference between testing on a 32- and 64-bit OS?
    • If I test a product under, for example, Windows 7, should I also test it with the Service Pack installed?
    • Where can I find ISO images of the required OS versions for testing purposes (virtualization in VMware)?

• Is there a difference between testing on a 32- and 64-bit OS?

The difference is very small. It exists for C ++ (although problems arise very rarely), but for Sharp, I can't even come up with a scenario to have problems. In general, in your case, you can probably not bother with this.

If I test a product under, for example, Windows 7, should I also test it with the Service Pack installed?

There is definitely no point in wasting time with a service pack. Even with every system, you don't need to test. Choose 2-3 key systems, let's say the smallest supported by your program, up-to-date, and preferably something in between. For example, WinXP-Win7-Win10.

In other systems, it is enough to simply check for problem areas - for example, in Win8 there is no Start button, for it it is worth making an alternative access to the program group. We checked it once, figured out the specific nuances, then it is not necessary to test it further.

Where can I find ISO images of the required OS versions for testing purposes (virtualization in VMware)?

Only on MSDN, of course. Well, or in some non-kosher places, which we will not name.

Suggested Topics