Allocation Database

• I have some questions about my database.

I use a MS-SQL "data bank", which is provided by LocaWeb (I do not have very clear this concept of LocaWeb providing me with a "bank" which has within it 3 more banks).

Well, he's divided into three banks:

adautil (o qual uso)
    master 
    tempdb

The master and tempdb, I am not allowed to edit any information.

I ran the command (which I believe will return information of the size of my bank):

EXEC sp_spaceused

I found it strange the information I got:

database_name  |   database_size   |    unllocated space
    adautil            17.00 MB             1.84 MB
    master             176.06 MB            117.34 MB
    tempdb             191.56 MB            187.13 MB

I didn't quite understand what that means, just added a few questions.

Can the adautil bench fill at any time? For free space is neither 2.00 MB.

What is the master bank for? And the tempdb bank? Are they booking space that I could be using in the adautil bank?

• O master is the database where SQL Server saves your settings at the instance level, similar to the mysql MySQL.

The bank tempdb, as its name suggests, is created for temporary storage of all its banks, such as temporary tables, changed lines in transactions, among others

As @OnoSendai mentioned, use the procedure sp_helpdb to check the maximum size of your bank.

About the real space you can use, see your provider (in case Locaweb). I don't know what service mode you hired, so you'll have to directly confirm with Locaweb how your plan is measured (only the database, a cloud service that you can manage in depth, etc).

The right thing to see is these bases are not considered as the maximum size of your plan. These bases keep a steady size, they won't run away much of it. O master save settings only and tempdb is rebooted and cleaned when the SQL server is restarted, zeroing its size.

More information about these bases:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/pt-br/library/ms187837.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/pt-br/library/ms190768.aspx

Suggested Topics