What is the hierarchy to use for finding elements - ID, class, name, xpath?

• What is the hierarchy to use 'find element' by ID, class, or xpath and so on.

Which is preferred over which?

For some elements class is being used - is that recommended?

• My main criteria is readability and maintainability.
    Speed has never been as issue for me. There's other parts of the test frameworks I use that have much more significant speed issues.

The basic idea is always 'what will it take to uniquely identify the element' with two principles:

• Don't over specify the page structure - this will make the selector more robust
    • Don't under specify the element - use enough information to uniquely identify an element

Generally I will always use CSS over XPATH unless there is a specific reason not to.

My order is

1. ID If it is actually unique this is always the best bet.

2. Elements and class/name combinations, e.g. input.last_name or input[name='last_name'] or div.home_address input.street

3. Text on the page. Frequently more subject to change.

4. Data attributes, e.g. DIV[data-customer='gender'] These can be an alternative to sharing js tags or layout styling.

5. Relative address (with xpath). This is for the (rare) occasions when I need to identify an elements on a dynamic page with changing content and then select another element relative to that.

As to whether class "is recommended?". It actually brings up a bigger issues as ID, Class and Name are all used by the following groups:

• developers
    • designers
    • automation engineers

So if the automation group uses a class as part of identifying an element and then a developer or designer changes that class name, the automation breaks and vice-versa. So this is why you need to use the big picture team approach to this to agree on how to work together effectively.

Suggested Topics