Do we really need testing framework when creating automation tests in C#?

• I am new in automation, and my team is going to create an automation testing framework and we selected hybrid framework. We are using C# and Visual Studio. I am looking for selenium tutorials and I always see TestNG or NUnit frameworks to use. My question is do we really need those, or we can customize our own framework instead?

Our plan is to have scripts that are a combination of data driven/keyword driven. I am already thinking about the Page Object Model to use for my scripts. We also would like to have a customized report, our data pool will be coming from excel/csv. What are your thoughts about this?

• No, technically you do not need a unit-testing framework. You could just execute Selenium steps from a C# program and write the results somewhere for you to monitor, but we use them as a runner of the tests. Since this gives standardized results which can be parsed by a continuous integration server to give you nice feedback.

I would advise you to use a unit-testing framework like NUnit to drive your tests. The development team is probably already using this for their unit-tests. Talk to them.

Page Object Model is currently the best way to structure your Selenium tests to be relatively maintainable. Personally I would not use data coming from Excel, unless you want non-developers to update the data. Else it just adds another layer of complexity. Just store the data in some class.

Suggested Topics