What is the difference between jUnit & TestNG?

• I have started Selenium scripting in my one of the project and I want to know the exact difference between Junit & TestNG. Which one is useful for Tester in Selenium? Any reference link/Site for the same?

• TestNG is a testing framework inspired from JUnit and NUnit but introducing some new functionalities that make it more powerful and easier to use.

TestNG is designed to cover all categories of tests: unit, functional, end-to-end, integration, etc...

Additional Features:

• Annotations.
    • Run your tests in arbitrarily big thread pools with various policies available (all methods in their own thread, one thread per test class, etc...).
    • Test that your code is multithread safe.
    • Flexible test configuration. Support for data-driven testing (with @DataProvider).
    • Support for parameters.
    • Powerful execution model (no more TestSuite).
    • Supported by a variety of tools and plug-ins (Eclipse, IDEA, Maven, etc...).
    • Embeds BeanShell for further flexibility.
    • Default JDK functions for runtime and logging (no dependencies).
    • Dependent methods for application server testing.
    • Facilitates user with effective means of Report Generation using ReportNG

Annotations:

JUnit: @BeforeClass and @AfterClass methods have to be declared as static. TestNG does not have this constraint.

TestNG: It has provided four additional setup/teardown pairs for the suite, test and groups, i.e. @BeforeSuite, @AfterSuite, @BeforeTest, @AfterTest, @BeforeGroups and @AfterGroups, @BeforeMethod, @BeforeClass, @AfterClass and @AfterMethod.

Parameterized test:

This feature is implemented in both tools, however in quite different ways.

TestNG has basically two ways for providing varying parameter values to a test method: by setting the testng.xml, and by defining a @DataProvider method.

In JUnit, @RunWith and @Parameters are used together to facilitate parameterized tests, while the @Parameters method has to return List[] with all the actual values, which will be fed into a dedicated class constructor as an argument.

Why choose TestNG?

I've talked about the features that differentiate TestNG for me, but there are a few more that aren't yet available in JUnit. For example, TestNG uses test groups, which can categorize tests according to features such as run times. As I said at the beginning of this column, JUnit 4 and TestNG are similar on the surface. But whereas JUnit is designed to hone in on a unit of code, TestNG is meant for high-level testing. Its flexibility is especially useful with large test suites, where one test's failure shouldn't mean having to rerun a suite of thousands.
    Each framework has its strengths, and there's nothing stopping you from using both in concert.

enter image description here

Suggested Topics