Where did I get 3 deaths from?

• I just finished my first WotC game, and there's an interesting anomaly in the ending stats: "3 soldiers killed". I do not remember ever losing a soldier in this game, but it says I lost 3. The world average is apparently 8, which is odd given that I'm on Veteran difficulty.

Some theories:

• It's counting the bonus soldiers left at the end of missions. Possible, but I know that I've never lost any of these either. And I've gotten more than 3 of these.
    • It's counting the Resistance soldiers in retaliation strikes. 3 sounds like a good number for how many of those were killed throughout my campaign.

So what events are counted by the "soldiers killed" stat, other than an XCOM soldier dying?

• The two things included in the soldiers killed metric are:

1. KIA members of your squad (not resistance soldiers added via the resistance order, nor the fighters on retaliation strikes).

2. Mind-controlled enemies. When a unit under your control dies, it counts under that statistic. Edit from comments: Enemy machines destroyed while under your control also count.

Suggested Topics