What do the numbers that appear when Interceptor "blocks" indicate?

• In Final Fantasy 6, the character Shadow can occasionally "block" an attack completely via his weapon (like many characters) but also via his dog, Interceptor. This dog occasionally counter-attacks for large amounts of damage, which is what it is famous for.

However, some of the time when Shadow is blocking, a number appears next to the "blocking-dog-parry" sprite that appears adjacent to Shadow. It appears with the same font color (white) that usually indicates damage to a character, but Shadow's HP is not affected and as far as I know, Interceptor doesn't have HP. This number does not always seem to appear during these dog-blocks.

What does this number mean?

(Bonus points for information specific to Brave New World, which is the version of FF6 I'm currently playing.)

• It's because Interceptor blocking uses the same code as when Golem blocks, I believe. Damage taken does matter there, since Golem will only block so much damage before it goes away (vanilla = caster's current HP | BNW = caster's max HP).

It also shows that Interceptor is a bigger badass than most of your characters.

Suggested Topics