How to trigger this quest in Fallout 3?

• I was playing the other day and I was west of Megaton, ahead of where the road splits into two, below a cliff I encountered 3 nonhostile wastelanders, upon talking to them, they mentioned about going for a treasure north I believe, then they turned hostiles and tried to kill me.

I managed to kill them and didn't check the new marker on my map, sadly I was low on health before this and a giant radscorpion ambushed me not far from there and killed me.

Sadly I didn't save for quite sometime and when I tried to find these guys I failed to do so. It was nighttime but I don't know around what time when I encountered these guys.

Does anybody know how to trigger these guys?

• The encounter you describe sounds like a unique encounter pointing you to the location "Oasis", where there is a major quest, of the same name.

The Fallout Wiki lists this encounter as "Oasis Raiders", but basically, 2-4 raiders are encountered, who accidentally reveal the location of a "treasure", before turning hostile.

This treasure is actually the location, itself. Just head north, as you are, and look for a bunch of trees. I have provided a map snippet, below. The encounter only acts as a "pointer". You do not get anything special for having met these raiders, prior to discovering Oasis. They are simply a means to point you towards a major quest.

Oasis marker on the Fallout 3 map

If you have played previous Fallout games, it may interest you to know that you will run into Harold, here.

Suggested Topics